Re: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-ipv6-pw-lsp-ping-03.txt> (LabelSwitched Path (LSP) Ping for IPv6 Pseudowire FECs) toProposed Standard

2012-11-02 13:07:33
I worry about the allocation of sub-TLVs in this I-D.

It calls for
"The following Sub-TLV changes, which comprise three updates and two
   additions, are made for two TLV Types in the aforementioned sub-
   registry: TLV Type 1 for "Target FEC Stack", and TLV Type 21 for
   "Reply Path"."
and it is the Type 21 that worries me.

IANA has, for Type 21,

Reply Path (TEMPORARY - expires 2012-01-20)
[draft-ietf-mpls-return-path-specified-lsp-ping]

and I am unclear what the rules are about updates to expired, TEMPORARY,
allocations.

I worry too that
[draft-ietf-mpls-return-path-specified-lsp-ping]
while confirming the reservation of Type 21 takes a different tack for
sub-TLVs, namely
"
According to the guidelines defined in [RFC5226], the sub-TLV range
   of Reply Path TLV are partitioned as following:
   0-31743 - Reserved, and MUST NOT be allocated."
so quite what this I-D will do to that I-D worries me.

And I worry yet more that other I-Ds, such as
draft-zjns-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply-00
are heading down the track with further updates in this area of the MPLS
namespace (except that this particular one seems to have abandoned
sub-TLVs).

Tom Petch