Re: [lisp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-03.txt> (LISP EID Block) to Informational RFC

2012-11-15 13:52:18
Hi,

How are you going to allocate space to ISPs?

This is PI space. The registries will take portions of this space to allocate
to end devices.

Are you thinking about the existing RIRs here? If so: it might be a good idea
to notify them that this is coming.

This draft is purely a draft to REQUEST space. There will need to be a
deployment guide on how to allocate EIDs, in general.

And if the RIR system is used every RIR will develop its own policy for
allocating EIDs independently (hopefully based on the recommendations in such a
deployment guide). It will have to be very clear whose responsibility it is to
allocate from this space, and when assigning responsibility it might be a good
idea to make sure they accept that responsibility too.

Note that I am not opposing the idea. I'm just trying to make sure this address
space doesn't disappear into a black hole because nobody takes the
responsibility to manage it.

One thing we have to be very careful with here is that EIDs are not directly
allocated/assigned to end sites from this block. That will cause everyone to
independently find (different) PITRs for their space, which will make a mess of
the global IPv6 routing table...

Thanks,
Sander