Re: When to adopt a draft as a WG doc (was RE: "IETF work is done on the mailing lists")

2012-11-28 10:36:30
I guess that a better question is:
        "What are the expectations if a draft becomes an WG document?"

The opinions ranges from:
a) It is something that some members of the WG consider inside the scope
of the charter.
z) This is a contract that the IESG will bless this document!

Not all working groups are the same, some work on brand new stuff and it
makes sense to have competing ideas progress and then the WG makes a
choice. In other cases the WG is just fixing something in an important
deployed protocol thus stricter criteria makes sense.

For a WG I have chaired we have two adoption paths:
a) publish draft as draft-<editor>-<wg>---, discuss on WG mailing list
once document is on track and people can make intelligent choice ask
for adoption.
b) Chairs based on discussion on lists or events, will
"commission" a WG document to address a particular issue. This will be
published as draft-ietf-<wg>- in version 00. Most of the time this is
reserved for updated version of published RFC's.

        Olafur