Re: When to adopt a draft as a WG doc (was RE: "IETF work is done on the mailing lists")

2012-11-29 16:37:25

On 30/11/2012, at 8:14 AM, Randy Bush <randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com> wrote:

I'll note that it seems possible that overspecifying process
could potentially cause more protests rather than fewer.

or good folk just walking away.  there is a reason we are at the ietf
and not the itu.  rule obsessed and process hidebound is probably not
the most productive use of smart folks' time.

On the other hand any organised social activity is organised by virtue of the
adoption
of a common set of "norms" about the behaviour of individuals - we call em
"rules"
and "processes", but the purpose is common. To what extent the activity is
tolerant
of exceptions, and to what extent the group activity is capable of self
examination and evolution in the light of such exceptions is critical for
longevity.

Rigid systems tend to ossify while flexible systems tend to adapt.

So for me its not that the ITU is any more rule and processed obsessed than the
IETF's WGs.
I'm sure we could all cite instances all along the spectrum of behaviour in both
forums. The distinction for me is the ability of the forum to undertake
self examination and evolve the rules and processes in the light of what may
have
originally been seen as exceptional behaviour.

Geoff