Re: When to adopt a draft as a WG doc (was RE: "IETF work is done on the mailing lists")

2012-11-30 10:07:07

On 11/28/2012 7:58 AM, Barry Leiba wrote:
Let's start with a basic point and work from there:
There is no formal process that involves "adopting" anything.

If you mean that we haven't documented a/the formal process, you are correct. If you mean that the IETF has not moved towards rather formal steps for explicitly adopting working group drafts, I disagree.

There is flexibility in the process that has developed, but it's become quite formal. The first shakey steps were controlling assignment of "draft-<wgname>" roughly 20 years ago and it has evolved from there.

Today, there is typically explicit text in the charter about adoption or there is explicit wg approval.

  There is nothing anywhere that specifies how the first version
of a WG document is formed.

Right.  Our documentation of our formal processes has lagged.

The next part of your note summarizes a couple of common starting points for drafts.