Re: A mailing list protocol

2012-12-09 20:29:15
At 11:43 AM -0800 12/9/12, S Moonesamy wrote:

Dave Cridland mentioned RFC 3676 [3]. He pointed out that it primarily useful in simple replies rather than quoting.

Just to clarify: Dave didn't say that RFC 3676 is not useful for quoting (indeed, quoting is one of it's main points). Dave pointed out that RFC 3676 didn't include a mechanism to attribute each quote to a specific author, which is true. Dave also pointed out that this attribution could in theory be accomplished by matching the quote level (which is included) to the 'References:' chain, although this would be fragile in practice because so few clients correctly implement 'References:'.

One of the problem he encounters is a lack of in-reply-to or references fields that I can use for in-thread navigation.

Used for threading in general, not in-thread navigation (I'm not sure I understand the difference, but to me, threading is the ability to group together messages in a logical thread or discussion, while in-thread navigation would be the ability to jump around within a thread).

--
Randall Gellens
With most men, life is like backgammon -- half skill and half luck.