Re: A mailing list protocol

2012-12-09 14:13:47
Hello,

Thanks to all of you who provided feedback on this thread and off-list. I'll attempt to summarize the comments on this thread.

Wes George asked whether there was an IETF standard format for handling inline quote replies and whether it has been implemented [1]. He mentioned that rehashing an old draft about nettiquete 101 is less helpful. He also commented about the common problem of mangled subject lines that make it very difficult to sort by thread. There was also an off-list comment about this. Scott Brim's comment [2] is an interesting view about standardization.

Dave Cridland mentioned RFC 3676 [3]. He pointed out that it primarily useful in simple replies rather than quoting. One of the problem he encounters is a lack of in-reply-to or references fields that I can use for in-thread navigation. Alessandro Vesely commented about disclaimers in messages [4].