RE: A mailing list protocol

2012-12-04 16:19:22
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
S Moonesamy

  (b) replies to messages which use an odd quoting style [2].

2. http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

[WEG] The referenced program doesn't work for anything 2007 or later (aka
versions still supported by MS), making it of limited use.

Is there an IETF standard format for handling inline quote replies? Is it just
not implemented in certain mail clients? If there isn't a relevant standard,
then we have no business whining that people are doing it "wrong", and we
should probably get to work defining one, either for use on the client side, or
possibly an extension for common mailman software to parse and fix it on the
server side to compensate for odd client implementations.

The last thread that talked about how to do email "correctly" focused on the
usual bashing of those using outlook or company email addresses, rather than
much in the way of helpful advice on how to make it less bad.
[
https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=49&gid=0&k1=933&k2=64911&tid=1354657596
]

Browbeating people into changing mail clients will be less than effective, but
something that systematically makes it easier to see who is responsible for
what comment in a multi-person thread regardless of source email client would
be welcome. While we're at it, we could maybe implement a fix for the common
problem of mangled subject lines that make it very difficult to sort by thread,
and add a server-side filter that removes the legal bilgewater automatically
added to some outgoing messages (example will follow in this very message)
before sending it to the rest of the list recipients, etc.

I'd support a draft of that nature, but rehashing an old draft about nettiquete
101 is less helpful. A simple reference to the original in the Tao webpage
would probably be sufficient to get the behavioral point across, and then we
can focus more on the technical problem that we appear to have.

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.