Re: FW: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way to RFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC

2013-01-14 11:04:10
I have two concerns and comments:

- How will success or failure be measured? Number of appeal increases or lesser amount? I have a concern that once this door is open, there will be increase appeals and also apathy of outcomes. There should be a statement of what sort of problems or issues are possible and envisioned and the plans to deal with them or not.

- The drafts indicates that fast tracking probably applies better towards BIS work. I cited concerns that this ideas should only be used for new work, not BIS work where there is already established implementators and working code. I prefer to work in "No Surprises" environment where it doesn't require me to pay attention to all protocol change work to make sure nothing fell thru the crack or some group of vendors with their questionable "code" implementation different from the norm being mandated in new BIS work.

I only see this RFC being used to negate voiced concerns in the name of fast tracking, not win people over if they already have a problem with the work, especially if its BIS WORK. But then again, maybe that is the intent.

I believe the experiment should only be applied first to new protocol work, not BIS work and if so, iff there are absolutely no question of possible conflict of interest, rush to judgment and no new code change impacts. Existing protocol implementers should not be put into a position, and worst within a shorter time period, to argue or just review what BIS changes made entail and force them into appeal actions.

Perhaps the experiment can be done in two phases. I believe there is good in fast tracking new ideas and methods, especially if simple and one that most people seem to agree with with little concerns. Many vendors have much to contribute in this area. So the first phase can explore only with fast tracking new concepts. If this works out well using some measuring tool, then BIS work can be better explored for fast tracking by gaining some insights from the first phase.

--
HLS

Adrian Farrel wrote:
Hi Alexa,

Please be aware of this document that has just entered a four-week IETF last
call. The document describes a proposed IETF process experiment under the rules
of RFC 3933.

The proposed experiment calls on the IETF Secretariat to take specific actions
under certain circumstances in corner cases of the experiment. Could you please
have someone in the Secretariat look at the draft and comment on the
practicalities of the actions. Note that, at this stage, no changes to the tools
are proposed so any actions would require manual intervention (if the experiment
were successful and resulted in permanent changes to IETF process we might make
changes to the tools at some future time).

Thanks,
Adrian