Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way to RFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC

2013-01-17 12:25:46

Hi Ned,

On 01/16/2013 03:40 AM, Ned Freed wrote:
Actually I think you make a couple of great points that ought be
mentioned in the draft about implementability. (No chance you'd
have time to craft a paragraph? If not, I'll try pinch text from
above:-) Now that you point it out like that, I'm irritated at
myself for not having included it already! (It rings bells for me.)

OK, I think the place for a new paragraph is just before the last
paragraph of section 2. How about something along the lines of:

   A complete and correct specification is not in and of itself a guarantee
of
   high quality implementations. What may seem like minor details can
   increase implementation difficulty substantially, leading to
implementations
   that are fragile, contain unnecessary restrictions, or do not scale well.
   Implementation experience has the potential to catch these problems
before
   the specification is finalized and becomes difficult to change.

You might also want to change the final paragraph of the section a bit in
light of the addition; I'll leave that to you to work out.

Did that, working copy at [1]. Lemme know if there're any changes
that are needed.

It looks good to me.

I also note that there's a reference to interoperability in the fourth
paragraph of section 1. Perhaps changing

   For example, a framework draft will not be a good candidate because
   implementations of such documents are not, of themselves,
   interoperable.

to something like

   For example, a framework draft will not be a good candidate because
   implementations of such documents are incomplete and therefore do
   not demonstrate either implementability or interoperability of an
   entire protocol.

would be in order.

                                Ned