Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way to RFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC

2013-01-29 08:40:37
Stephen Farrell <stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> writes:

where unless someone else who likes the idea wants to join
the discussion, I'm going to conclude that we're collectively
either unwilling or unable to consider 3933 experiments and
regard this one as dead, which maybe means 3933 is dead-ish
too, I dunno. (And before someone asks: no, I don't conclude
that its just a problem with this particular experiment, and
yes, I might be wrong there:-)

I object to this (and have come close to saying it a few times
before).

One of the things that further undermines potential support for
something (and further raises questions about intentions) is when
people raise legitmate and substantive issues with a specific
proposal, and the responses start moving away from responding to the
substance to arguments  like "Gee, can't we even do experiments anymore",
etc., etc.

This document is not getting pushback because we "collectively" are
"unwilling or unable to consider experiments". Rather, from the list
traffic, some folk have real issues with the content. Can you please
accept that and stick to the substance?

For me, as I've said before, this just isn't an experiment worth
spending time on. Too little bang for the buck, and I see serious
potential downsides. Can you please just accept that some people have
that view?  And please don't turn around with the "how will we know if
we don't try?" line of argument. There is little need to try something
as an experiment if the likely outcome seems clear.

Thomas