Re: A modest proposal

2013-01-23 11:40:34
John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

My, what a bunch of parvenus.  SIP got it from SMTP, SMTP got it from
Telnet.  Back in the 1960s we all used <CR><LF> because on a
mechanical model 33 or 35 Teletype, CR really returned the carriage,
LF really advanced the platen, and you needed both.  I first ran into
CR/LF on a PDP-6 in about 1968, but I know it wasn't new then.

Dates back to 1930s teleprinters, I think.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.