Re: A modest proposal

2013-01-22 22:01:51
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM, William Jordan
<wjordan129(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Whoever thought it was a good idea to allow multiple ways of doing the same
exact thing would hopefully be deterred by actually writing code to do it.
I think a suitable punishment for those people would be to write each way of
writing a from header on a blackboard 100 times... this would actually be
less of the pain they've cause by making each writer of a SIP stack handle
each possible way of doing things.

I know this because I chaired the meetings for the RFC 2543 to RFC
3261 re-write. It's even worse than you think; half of the
participants were hard-core coders, each of whom had done an
implementation (or two). The other half were philosophy or art
students, who wanted the spec to be beautiful and meaningful and true
and formally correct and all those good things. And EVERYBODY had a
conflicting understanding for what they wrote, mostly based on
fondling a different part of the elephant. I was just lazy and tried
to keep from having to rewrite too much code due to spec changes,
except of course for that parts that were totally bogus (like strict
routing).

It's called a "committee" for a reason. That's where one gets
two-headed llamas and the US federal budget. Oh wait, we don't have a
budget yet, going on three years.

--
Dean