Re: A modest proposal

2013-01-22 10:29:33
Do none of you know what the phrase "a modest proposal" refers to?

Try googling it.

Janet

ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org wrote on 01/21/2013 11:57:22 PM:

From: William Jordan <wjordan129(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Date: 01/22/2013 12:01 AM
Subject: A modest proposal
Sent by: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

I've recent had to write a program to interface with a SIP lync
server and in doing so have had to code to several rfcs.  After
reading and dealing with implementation of the various rfcs I have
read I have come up with what I consider "A modest proposal" to fix
some of the problems I've seen with implementing a rfc.  I think
anyone who writes a rfc should have to provide a working ANSI/C or
GNU/C implementation of the rfc in question.  Specifically, I have
worked with the SIP rfc (rfc 3261) and have come to the conclusion
that whoever wrote the rfc has never coded a day in their life.
 Whoever thought it was a good idea to allow multiple ways of doing
the same exact thing would hopefully be deterred by actually writing
code to do it.  I think a suitable punishment for those people would
be to write each way of writing a from header on a blackboard 100
times... this would actually be less of the pain they've cause by
making each writer of a SIP stack handle each possible way of doing
things.

Anyways, that is my modest proposal, please respond or I will be
forced to reply every day to this mailing list on each and every way
the SIP spec sucks one email at a time.  FYI I'm not sure if GNU/C
is the correct acronym, maybe its POSIX/C.

Regards,
Bill