Re: A modest proposal

2013-01-22 03:49:40
On 1/21/13 11:34 PM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
It may seem to be very easy to agree with you on that point. However,
the story isn't that simple as it first seems to be.

Complex problems often have complex solutions.  I think a lot of
people look at sendmail, for example, and go "GAH!" without
knowing much of the history of gatewaying between networks and
the rewrite rules that facilitated that.  But I also wonder how
hard we've worked at trying to reduce complexity in some cases.

The SIP thing is a little painful because at the time it was
brought to the IETF it was touted as a much simpler technology
than H.323.  And, of course, it turned out that ... complex problems
often have complex solutions and there's a reason why H.323 is
as complicated as it is (mostly).  Still, I wonder if we're just
tending to accept complex solutions a bit readily.

Melinda