A modest proposal

2013-01-21 23:02:08
I've recent had to write a program to interface with a SIP lync server and
in doing so have had to code to several rfcs.  After reading and dealing
with implementation of the various rfcs I have read I have come up with
what I consider "A modest proposal" to fix some of the problems I've seen
with implementing a rfc.  I think anyone who writes a rfc should have to
provide a working ANSI/C or GNU/C implementation of the rfc in question.
 Specifically, I have worked with the SIP rfc (rfc 3261) and have come to
the conclusion that whoever wrote the rfc has never coded a day in their
life.  Whoever thought it was a good idea to allow multiple ways of doing
the same exact thing would hopefully be deterred by actually writing code
to do it.  I think a suitable punishment for those people would be to write
each way of writing a from header on a blackboard 100 times... this would
actually be less of the pain they've cause by making each writer of a SIP
stack handle each possible way of doing things.

Anyways, that is my modest proposal, please respond or I will be forced to
reply every day to this mailing list on each and every way the SIP spec
sucks one email at a time.  FYI I'm not sure if GNU/C is the correct
acronym, maybe its POSIX/C.

Regards,
Bill