Re: Last Call: <draft-cardenas-dff-09.txt> (Depth-First Forwarding in Unreliable Networks (DFF)) to Experimental RFC

2013-02-10 05:08:27
Reply to your request dated 07/02/2013
Also following AD advice.
Draft Reviewed By: Abdussalam Baryun (AB)   Dated: 10/02/2013

Reviewer Comment #AB1: Related to Aim and Terminology.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Overall I support the work, but subject to amendments.

The Abstract is interesting but seem general

   This document specifies the "Depth-First Forwarding" (DFF) protocol
   for IPv6 networks,

AB> do you mean all IPv6 networks, if some please mention *some*

   a data forwarding mechanism that can increase
   reliability of data delivery in networks with dynamic topology and/or
   lossy links.

AB> IPv6 considers dynamic topology, does the paragraph mean that some
networks are static topology. Suggest to clarify the dynamic
frequency. Also not clear what is missing with IPv6 protocol in such
nets that needs DFF.

 The protocol operates entirely on the forwarding plane,
   but may interact with the routing plane.

AB> amend> entirely on the forwarding plane,
           to; entirely within the forwarding plane,

   The routing plane may be informed of
   failures to deliver a packet or loops.

AB> Amend> routing plane may be informed
          to;   routing plane protocols may be informed

Terminology section>

AB> you need to define that all routers have the DFF protocol, even
though it is known by heart that any forwarder needs to run DFF but
you MUST mention that at least to the reader,

AB> you missed to define the Router, which is mentioned many times but
I don't know which one. I think it is a must because you refer to two
planes forwarding and routing planes. Please define the Forwarder as
well. I don't find any Forwarder action in the draft, why not while
you specify there is a forwarding plane!

AB> suggest that you explaine forwarding and routing in separate and
show where they join relating to your protocol.

This will not be the last, will continue,

Regards
AB
This message and any attachments are confidential to the intended
This message is in compliance with the IETF regulations.

On 2/7/13, The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Depth-First Forwarding in Unreliable Networks (DFF)'
  <draft-cardenas-dff-09.txt> as Experimental RFC

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2013-02-24. Exceptionally, comments
may be
sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case, please retain the

Abstract

   This document specifies the "Depth-First Forwarding" (DFF) protocol
   for IPv6 networks, a data forwarding mechanism that can increase
   reliability of data delivery in networks with dynamic topology and/or
   lossy links.  The protocol operates entirely on the forwarding plane,
   but may interact with the routing plane.  DFF forwards data packets
   using a mechanism similar to a "depth-first search" for the
   destination of a packet.  The routing plane may be informed of
   failures to deliver a packet or loops.  This document specifies the
   DFF mechanism both for IPv6 networks (as specified in RFC2460) and in
   addition also for LoWPAN "mesh-under" networks (as specified in
   RFC4944).

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cardenas-dff/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cardenas-dff/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1645/
   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1646/