Re: Internet Draft Final Submission Cut-Off Today

2013-02-26 16:39:07
On 2/26/13 1:57 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
On 2/26/2013 11:47 AM, Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:
On 02/26/2013 11:39 AM, Joe Touch wrote:
Then again, having these deadlines at all is a bit silly.

It just forces authors to "informally distribute" updates directly on the list, and cuts off access to work that doesn't need to happen in sync with
an IETF meeting.

Something like "documents published less than two weeks before a WG session cannot be discussed in this session" would be better. Also, "slides published
less than one week before a WG session cannot be used in this session".

That's fine, though it still puts minor mods in the same class as complete revisions.

Maybe we need a two-tiered numbering system, e.g., major revs cannot occur less than two weeks before a meeting where they will be discussed, but minor mods are OK up to 48 hours in advance.

:-)

You can't bury a recurring-rathole thread like this in the middle of another thread and expect good fireworks! ;-)

But more seriously: I agree with you both. The deadline is silly. Chairs should be able to manage what gets discussed at a face-to-face without an artificial posting moratorium, and it can be done with reasonable discretion for exceptions. But we have had this conversation many times, including at the face-to-face plenary, and we've repeatedly heard that chairs prefer to have this default "no" in place to reduce the number of arguments they have to have with recalcitrant WG members. And there is an AD-override of the moratorium, so if you do have good reason to post an update, it is allowed.

I suggested at one point that a middle ground might be to keep allow submission to a "holding pen" that would require chair or AD to release it. It didn't garner a lot of excitement.

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478