Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director

2013-03-04 13:19:49
Sam:

So in conclusion, I strongly value technical contribution and
demonstrated ability to pick up new knowledge in an AD. I do not highly
value knowing all the things going on in a specific area at the time the
AD joins the IESG.

We mostly agree.  We both agree that strong technical contribution is an
important aspect of the qualification.  However, I believe that some basic clue
in the Area is needed.

Could you image serving with a Security Co-AD that could not explain how
cryptography could be used for authentication?

Without some fundamental understanding, I do not see how the AD would know when
to seek additional expert review.

Russ