Re: congestion control? - (was Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director)

2013-03-05 08:16:29
On 05/03/2013 11:55, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
I've no idea about the example quoted, but I can see some of their motivation.

TCP's assumptions (really simplified) that loss of packet = congestion =>
backoff
aren't necessarily so in a wireless network, where packets can be lost without
congestion. This means that TCP into, out of, or across, a MANET using TCP
can be
bad. It then tends to happen that the MANET people don't fully understand TCP,
and the TCP people don't fully understand MANETs.

The effects you mention were definitely discussed in PILC.
http://www.ietf.org/wg/concluded/pilc.html
Maybe the PILC documents need revision?

    Brian

I don't have a single good reference for what I say above, in particular have
things got better (or worse) as TCP evolves, and therefore which references
are still valid? But the obvious Google search (TCP MANET) throws up various
discussions.