Re: side meetings and BarBOFs.

2013-03-12 12:55:46

"Hannes" == Hannes Tschofenig
<hannes(_dot_)tschofenig(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net> writes:
    Hannes> a Bar BOF is an discussion among interested people that is
    Hannes> open for others. Since we like transparency and openness we
    Hannes> invite others to join these discussions.

    Hannes> Would you rather like to have meetings where you are not
    Hannes> invited?

The reason for the bar bof being in a bar, restaurant, bike shed, or
pool-side margarita stand, where yes, you can not hear people more than
a few meters away, is so that there can be lots of high bandwidth
discussion among a small group of peers.   (And, btw, this is one reason
I like the social events we have had in museums, because they tend to be
quiet enough to talk, yet not boring)

A reason for the "DoFood" method is so that people who are not talking
have something to do with their mouth :-)

As the size of the group grows, we get instantly into n^2 communications
problems, and we then fail to actually hear anyone due to congestion
collapse.   We then impose slideware and micrphones on the 'discussion',
and the result is that we are not actually any more open than we were
before (because there now isn't time to hear everyone in the room), just
less effective.

--
Michael Richardson
-on the road-