Re: side meetings and BarBOFs.

2013-03-12 14:03:41

"Burger" == Burger Eric <eburger(_at_)cs(_dot_)georgetown(_dot_)edu>
writes:
    Burger> I think Michael's point is that because a BOF only has two
    Burger> shots, people trying again do NOT go through the open,
    Burger> advertised process and thus end up with closed meetings
    Burger> where people are (almost always INADVERTENTLY) not
    Burger> invited. It would be more open and transparent to have these
    Burger> meetings on the calendar, or at least the BOF wiki.

Yes, I agree with you.

What I observe is that because people think that the two shots are a
very hard limit, that they are instead very shy about asking for a BOF
until they are completely ready.

Really what used to happen in BOFs, is now happening in a hodge-podge of
BarBOFs that actually happen in bars (I was in one last night, and
another was immediately behind me), and other things like the 6tsch
side-meeting which asked for, and got two 1.5 hour lunch time slots.
The 6tsch has a list, and is busy submitting individual drafts, and
could easily have been turned into a BOF with proper datatracker
support.

Perhaps we could call some a "Pre-BOF", with the understanding that this
means that ADs need not be present, and that we can have more than one
Pre-BOF in a timeslot.

There was also a SSH Key management side meeting... was it yesterday?  I
dunno, it was announced very late, and of course, I can't look it up on
the schedule either.

BTW: I think both the ITS BarBOF and the mdnsext BarBOF made progress on
something that likely can be chartered.  The mdnsext had a BOF last
time, but it was clear that it needed some significant amount of agenda
bashing, and so it did not choose to meet this time, because a big
meeting was not justified.  What they did was ENTIRELY reasonable.

What I'm objecting to is "BarBOFs" that are so formal that they are
getting AV support.  Those should just be BOFs or if we like,
"Pre-BOFs", and they should be on the schedule.  (Whether we schedule
through lunch or not, is a seperable discussion)

--
Michael Richardson
-on the road-