Re: fixing language in documents written by Martians and others

2013-03-13 09:19:51

--On Wednesday, 13 March, 2013 03:57 +0000 John Levine
<johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

Nonetheless I think that John K's suggestion has considerable
merit for I-Ds whose authors are not fluent in written English
(a situation that I agree has surprisingly little to do with
whether the author is a native English speaker.)  The reason
is that often it is hard to tell what a document is supposed
to be saying, and the only way to find out is to go back to
the author and ask.  This is very slow and time consuming if
each iteration has to go from the editor to the author and
back, If the document has a co-author who's working on it all
along, the rewriting could happen as the document was
developed, leaving only a final check for the copy editor.

To be fair, that wasn't my suggestion.  I can't remember who
made it; might have been Hannes.  I expressed some skepticism
about it because, as I think I've said then, I've seen it work
sometimes and not others.  Put differently, I think it is a very
good idea to have in our kit of tools for dealing with the
problem, but it should not be assumed to always be the best tool
or approach, nor should we assume that the idea of assigned
co-editors will always solve the problem.

--On Tuesday, 12 March, 2013 17:48 -0400 "Carlos M. Martinez"