Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2560bis-15

2013-03-27 10:17:08
Hi David,

Yes I missed to respond to that aspect.

This is a bit complicated, but we have a large legacy to take into account
where some responders implements just RFC 2560, while some deliver
pre-generated responses according to RFC 5019 (Light-weight OCSP). LW
responders are not capable of producing a signed response at the time of
responding and in case such responder finds a request for a certificate
where no pre-produced response exists, it will reply with an unsigned
error response "unauthorized", which also is a legitimate way to respond.
So the actual OCSP responder may actually know that the certificate was
never issued, but since it delivers pre-produced responder through a CDN,
it can not provide a revoked response in real time.

So the major aim with the current writing is to declare that the revoked
response is a MAY because there are other valid alternatives.

We also want to avoid putting down a SHOULD respond revoked if a
certificate is known to be not-issued, because that would require us to
define what "known to be non-issued" actually means. And that could be
quite tricky as OCSP responders by no means are required to have this
knowledge.

The OCSP responder simply have a number of tools to prevent the client
from accepting a bad certificate.
This update of OCSP simply allows responders to use the "revoked" response
as a preventive measure, without mandating it.

This is also related to activities in the CA Browser Forum where they put
down requirements on responders complying with CAB rules to not respond
"good" to certificates that were never issued.
With this update in OCSP, they can now mandate in their policies both the
fact that their responders MUST know if a certificate was never issued and
MUST respond "revoked".

So we allow other communities to raise the bar even if the base standard
defines the response as optional.

In theory we could possibly say that responding revoked is optional, but
if you choose between revoked and unknown then you SHOULD favour revoked
over unknown. But such nested requirements just feels bad and impossible
to test compliance against. I'd much rather just leave it optional. I
think the Note gives a clear recommendation on this and the rationale
without spelling it out as a requirement.

Does this answer your question?

On 3/27/13 12:51 AM, "Black, David" <david(_dot_)black(_at_)emc(_dot_)com>