Re: draft-housley-rfc2050bis-01

2013-04-08 13:44:16
On Apr 8, 2013, at 9:06 AM, David Farmer <farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu> wrote:

3.  Regarding Public WHOIS in section 4;  The constituencies and stakeholders
for Public WHOIS are much broader than just the technical community, a number
of constituencies in civil society have legitimate interests in Public WHOIS.
 I guess the main point I'm trying to make is that Public WHOIS is more than
just a technical issue, and section 4 seems to scope it as solely a technical
issue.

It's definitely a bigger issue, but it does not seem appropriate in
an IETF document to assert points about all aspects of the issue, but
instead better to just note the _technical considerations_ of the topic
that are needed to keep the Internet running.

I don't think you need to refocus section 4 from "Technical Considerations" I
think simply recognizing that there are more than just technical
considerations, especially for Public WHOIS, something like the following
should be sufficient;

  2) ...have included consideration of the technical and operational
     requirements, as well as requirements of other stakeholders, for
     supporting WHOIS services...

This text would be the authors asserting that these requirements (those of
other stakeholders of Whois) have been considered, and yet there are wide
range of non-technical aspects to Whois that quite probably have not been
fully considered; e.g. issues similar to those in various ongoing discussions
of DNS Whois at ICANN this week...

The section is about the _technical considerations_ that have been considered
in establishment of the Internet Numbers Registry System, and to change the
text as you suggest would significantly expand its scope into areas not
currently
addressed in the text and not typical of other IETF documents, i.e. problematic.

FYI,
/John