Re: draft-housley-rfc2050bis-01

2013-04-12 10:16:01
On 4/8/13 13:45 , John Curran wrote:
On Apr 8, 2013, at 9:06 AM, David Farmer <farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu> wrote:

3.  Regarding Public WHOIS in section 4;  The constituencies and stakeholders
for Public WHOIS are much broader than just the technical community, a number
of constituencies in civil society have legitimate interests in Public WHOIS.
I guess the main point I'm trying to make is that Public WHOIS is more than
just a technical issue, and section 4 seems to scope it as solely a technical
issue.

It's definitely a bigger issue, but it does not seem appropriate in
an IETF document to assert points about all aspects of the issue, but
instead better to just note the _technical considerations_ of the topic
that are needed to keep the Internet running.

I don't think you need to refocus section 4 from "Technical Considerations" I
think simply recognizing that there are more than just technical considerations,
especially for Public WHOIS, something like the following should be sufficient;

   2) ...have included consideration of the technical and operational
      requirements, as well as requirements of other stakeholders, for
      supporting WHOIS services...

This text would be the authors asserting that these requirements (those of
other stakeholders of Whois) have been considered, and yet there are wide
range of non-technical aspects to Whois that quite probably have not been
fully considered; e.g. issues similar to those in various ongoing discussions
of DNS Whois at ICANN this week...

The section is about the _technical considerations_ that have been considered
in establishment of the Internet Numbers Registry System, and to change the
text as you suggest would significantly expand its scope into areas not
currently
addressed in the text and not typical of other IETF documents, i.e. problematic.

You are probably right, but the first paragraph of section 4 says;

   As a result of the system of technical standards and guidelines
   established by the IETF as well as historical and operational
   constraints, there have been technical considerations regarding the
   services provided by the Internet Numbers Registry System as it
   evolved.  These technical considerations have included:

Specifically where it says "as well as historical and operational constraints" seems to open the door for what I'm talking about. The way it is written, the "historical and" seem to stand apart from, separate from, or in addition too, the "technical standards and guidelines" of the IETF. Historical constraints is rather broad and could easily include non-technical considerations. Which the issues of broader society and Public WHOIS are certainly some of the historical non-technical considerations.

So I'd suggest that paragraph should get some work, to better represent the intent you have stated for this section. I suggest the following text, based on my interpretation of what you are saying. I feel it better constrains the discussion to the technical domain. In particular changing "historical and operational constraints" to something like "historic operational practices".

   As a result of the system of technical standards and guidelines
   established by the IETF, as well as historic operational
   practices of the Internet community, there are technical
   considerations regarding the services provided by the Internet
   Numbers Registry System, these included:

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email: farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952