Re: Meritocracy, diversity, and leaning on the people you know

2013-04-19 14:14:25
On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Dave Cridland <dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net>
wrote:
Nice post.

I wonder whether a better mechanism for drawing newcomers into the inner
circle - which is what I think you're intent is here - would be to randomly
select people to be involved in a short online meeting to discuss the draft,
rather than review it in isolation.

It'd be a different kind of review, which adds value for us, I think, and
would instantiate new human subnets which could be used to bootstrap other
involvement.

This is, I stress, merely a quick reaction to your much more thoughtful
post, and I reserve the right to backtrack and change my mind.

Another "quick reaction" or "warm comment:"

Yes, it is a different type of review and maybe not everyone is suited
for that type of interaction.  I speak by personal experience: during
meeting (especially with many people) usually I prefer to listen,
think about the issues and maybe expressing my ideas in a follow-up or
the at next meeting.  I know, I am not a team player (rather, I am a
lonely wolf :-) but it is me and I know that I am not the only one.
I  feel more comfortable in a less interactive setting: reading the
document, taking my time to ponder about it, hunting for holes, etc.
Then, maybe, I can be in a meeting where we express our opinion about
the doc.

Maybe we could have both types of "forced interaction," so you could
see who is more suited for "live meeting" and who for "non-interactive
review."

Riccardo