Re: Meritocracy, diversity, and leaning on the people you know

2013-04-19 14:29:24
Hi Simon,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Simon Pietro Romano
<spromano(_at_)unina(_dot_)it>wrote:

Hi Ted,

interesting points indeed. I don't really know whether or not the approach
you propose might work in practice,

There is certainly a risk there, but I hope we can find ways of increasing
the institutional support for opportunities for the less-well-connected
(newcomer or not) to contribute to the technical work. That may not result
immediately in deep social connection, but it should result in better
visibility.  That can help along the longer road.  There are, after all,
many chairs who are constantly looking for new participants and energy, and
adding this tool may help match that to the skills of volunteers they don't
know.

regards,

Ted Hardie

though.
My personal experience in the IETF is that it is really hard to gain some
'popularity' among the members of this variegated gallery of characters,
especially if you don't have any official sponsorship from one of the big
Internet companies. In case you were able to earn some credibility with a
couple of on-the-field successes, you would not be treated as a newcomer
anymore, but nonetheless as an outsider, a sort of strange entity wandering
around meeting corridors and looked at with some curiosity by the usual
gang of famous IETFfers. It is a matter of social attitudes. People are
strange when you're a stranger...and there is really little you can do
about that.

Cheers,

Simon