Re: W3C standards and the Hollyweb

2013-04-26 16:41:32

On 04/26/2013 10:23 PM, Josh Howlett wrote:

OK, pardon the cheap shot, but I don¹t think SDOs that have some sort of
stewardship relationship to the Internet should ever play any part
whatsoever in the facilitation of DRM.

So it's ok to define protocols that manage access to services (e.g., TLS,
GSS, SASL, etc), but not to the content that might be delivered by those
same services? Barring the technicalities around around how authorisation
is enforced, I don't see a distinction.

Some technicalities count: DRM schemes are always easily broken
by anyone who cares. Personally, I think that's a good reason
to discourage work on them.

S.

Josh.

Janet(UK) is a trading name of Jisc Collections and Janet Limited, a
not-for-profit company which is registered in England under No. 2881024
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG. VAT No. 614944238