Re: W3C standards and the Hollyweb

2013-04-26 18:13:18
At 02:38 25-04-2013, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
The Encrypted Media Extensions (EME, a.k.a. DRM in HTML5)
specification is not a real DRM itself.  It provides for add-on parts
described as Content Decryption Modules that provide DRM functionality
for one or more Key Systems.  DRMs are obviously designed to be
non-interoperable, and EME is a standard for managing such
non-standard stuff.  That is going to break interoperability, as any
given browser will inevitably miss some decryption modules.

I read https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html From what I understand "Digital Rights Management technologies attempts to control what I can and can't do with the media and hardware I have purchased". I did some reading [1] and I found that:

  "An open DRM interoperability standard accelerates content consumption in
   the home network and propels device volume growth and thus benefits the
   consumers, the content owners and the device manufacturers"

I found that hard to believe. There is a paper about "a weakness in the High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) scheme which may lead to practical attacks" [2]. Someone found a way put the theory into practice.

There was a paper about "The Darknet and the Future of Content Distribution" [3]. Quoting the Introduction:

  "People have always copied things. In the past, most items of value were
   physical objects. Patent law and economies of scale meant that small scale
   copying of physical objects was usually uneconomic, and large-scale copying
   (if it infringed) was stoppable using policemen and courts."

I suggest reading the paper.

Regards,
-sm

1. http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/60/slides/perm-4.pdf