Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-rfc2050bis-01.txt> (The Internet Numbers Registry System) to Informational RFC

2013-05-10 20:36:49
SM,

On May 10, 2013, at 11:40 AM, SM <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net> wrote:
In Section 2:

 "As such, allocations must be made in accordance with the operational
  needs of those running the networks that make use of these number
  resources and by taking into consideration pool limitations at the
  time of allocation."

The global IPv4 address pool is currently depleted.

The IANA IPv4 free pool is exhausted (well, modulo blocks of addresses returned
to IANA), yes.

Two RIR regions are in IPv4 exhaustion phase.  There is a proposal in the
RIPE region to remove "need" [1].

Yes.

I gather that this new version of the Internet Numbers Registry System looks
towards a future where hosts are IPv6 accessible.

Sure, but it is also looking towards the remaining few IPv4 allocations that
will be made over the next few years.

Given that the free IPv6 address pool is very large and that IP addresses are
not free, what is the rationale for keeping allocations in accordance with
operational needs?

The fact that the IPv6 address pool is very large does not remove the fact that
it is a not an infinite resource and thus, constraints must be applied to
allocation policy. Lacking those constraints, I'm sure you or I could come up
with an allocation policy that would blow through the IPv6 free pool quite
quickly. To date, the communities interested in IP addressing have established
policies that dictate "operational needs" should be the primary constraint (as
opposed to say constraining on geo-political boundaries, by ability to pay,
etc). However, the second part of that sentence is saying that pool limitations
at the time of allocation should also be taken into consideration.  Since _at
this time_ the IPv6 free pool is quite large, it would follow that allocation
policy constraints would be minimal (as I believe they are).

 "Registration Accuracy: A core requirement of the Internet
  Numbers Registry System is to maintain a registry of
  allocations to ensure uniqueness and to provide accurate
  registration information of those allocations in order to
  meet a variety of operational requirements."

There isn't any mention of privacy [2] considerations in the draft.

True. The document is documenting current practices and policies. At this point
in time, I'm unaware of a global privacy practice or policy that is applicable
to all levels of the Internet Numbers Registry System.

Is it up to the IETF to set up a one-stop shop for personal data requests?

I suspect not, but I suspect it isn't up to the IETF to dictate global privacy
policy either.

Regards,
-drc