Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-rfc2050bis-01.txt> (The Internet Numbers Registry System) to Informational RFC

2013-05-14 13:32:53
Hi,

On May 14, 2013, at 11:02 AM, David Farmer <farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu> wrote:
The third goal you refer to focuses on the need for "accurate registration
information ... in order to meet a variety of operational requirements."  I
believe this to be a valid technical concerns of the IETF, it is difficult to
imagine how a global Internet can technically function without this.  So, I
think it is important for it to remain in the draft.

I would also point out that the third goal makes no statement on whether the
registration data is publicly available or not.

However, issues of privacy, law enforcement access, and a myriad of other
extremely important issues related to the Internet Numbers Registry System
are outside the technical and operational scope of the IETF.  The whole point
of the draft is to document the issues that are properly the concern of the
IETF towards the Internet Numbers Registry System and to pass the rest of it
to the multi-stakeholder environment of ICANN and the RIRs to hash it out.

Exactly. Section 4 notes that provision of "public WHOIS" has been a technical
consideration and that "it may be necessary for the Internet community to
examine these and related technical and operational considerations and how best
to meet them."

Regards,
-drc