APPSDIR review of draft-housley-rfc2050bis-01

2013-05-16 15:57:38
Hi,

I have been selected as the Applications Area Directorate reviewer for
this draft (for background on appsdir, please see ​
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate ).
you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-housley-rfc2050bis-01
Title: The Internet Numbers Registry System
Reviewer: Tobias Gondrom
Review Date: May-16

Review:
0. The document is well written and I very much like that the document
is short and concise.

Comments:
1. One of two key sentences I took from the document is that its
self-described scope is "only documenting" the status quo. See Section
1: "does not propose any changes...., but it does provide information
about the current... system".
When reading this, one question the reader might consider is whether to
agree with this scope-self-limitation.
For my review, I followed this set scope, so the question is then only
does the ID reflect reality and provide sufficient information. My
answer to that is "yes".

2. And the second key sentence is from section 5:
...  "specified in the IETF/IAB/ICANN MOU [RFC2860], discussions
regarding the evolution of the Internet Numbers Registry System
structure, policy, and processes are to take place within the ICANN
framework and will respect ICANN's core values [ICANNBL]." So basically
fully delegating that responsibility to ICANN.

Personally IMHO, I would like to encourage the editors and the IETF to
actually take a more strategic and pro-active approach and consider also
whether any guided changes beyond status quo could improve the situation.
Are our assumptions for the current system still true? Can we reflect
about why certain aspects are as they are and whether we can learn from
the past about any improvements we should actively explore or consider?
A pro-active review of the overall situation including #1 and #2 might
be useful?

Best regards, Tobias