Re: Is this an elephant? [Was: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process]

2013-05-16 16:00:29

On May 16, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Adrian Farrel
<adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

On the whole, I am told that if an AD weighs in with her comments during
working
group last call, her fearsome personality may overwhelm some of the WG
participants and she may dominate the WG consensus.

There may be places where that happens, but I would be surprised if it happened
in my working group. I think it is fair to say that the AD (or an IAB member,
or someone who has recognized expertise on the topic) is likely to be listened
to more carefully than some others might. Heck, I'm careful when I make a
technical comment on a document in my working group, flagging it with
"</chair>" to ensure that it is seen as intended - a comment by a competent
practitioner of the art, not a process remark or an attempt to trump some other
view. Speaking personally, I would prefer to see those comments in the WGLC,
not IETF Last Call, if we can make that happen. For example, I'd like to get
directorate reviews done (gen-art, security directorate, etc) in the timeframe
of WGLC.