RE: Is this an elephant? [Was: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process]

2013-05-16 11:40:36
That's a good question Dave.

The community might like to comment.

On the whole, I am told that if an AD weighs in with her comments during working
group last call, her fearsome personality may overwhelm some of the WG
participants and she may dominate the WG consensus.

Is it possible that the same would happen in IETF last call? I know, of course,
that a number of you have a robust ability to defend your opinions, but how
would you (the community, not Dave) feel if ADs (speaking as ADs, not speaking
as individual contributors) made their review comments during IETF last call?

I agree that this would bring the tail forward a little (not a lot).
I don't believe it would reduce AD work-load (which is another issue entirely).
I have mixed feelings about whether it would change the processing time for a
draft. That might depend on how the review is handled in IETF last call.

Lastly, I think I disagree with you about "really serious" IETF last call
comments coming in the first few days. It seems to me that we also get an number
of late comments of substance resulting from people who are not familiar with
the document reviewing it (such as directorate reviews and people who didn't
notice the I-D sneaking through).

Still thinking,
Adrian