Re: Is this an elephant? [Was: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process]

2013-05-16 13:06:34
Dave Crocker wrote:

And of course, the reality is that we allow bad specs out the door all
the time; we just allow fewer of them than many/most other standards
bodies...

But different to (at least some) other standards bodies, we lack an
official means to publish defect reports (aka errata) to document defects
in a _timely_(!!) fashion.  (Timely = can be found where the RFC says
that it can be found, and within at most a few weeks after the
defect/omission has been found by an implementor).

In theory, we have the errata process, and recent RFC even include
a direct URL pointer to the RFC-Editors errata page on the title page:

   Information about the current status of this document, any errata,
   and how to provide feedback on it may be obtained at
   http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfcXXXX.

("XXXX" containing the real number of the RFC on which this appears).

However, the Errata process is currently working poorly, primarily
because a number of folks (including some IETF leadership) currently
thinks that posting something a trivial as a missing vital one-line
clarification to a published RFC as a "substantial change" that can
only be performed by publishing a whole new RFC.

-Martin