Re: Is this an elephant? [Was: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process]

2013-05-16 17:07:57

On May 16, 2013, at 5:58 PM 5/16/13, Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 05/16/2013 04:46 PM, Yoav Nir wrote:
The time for asking whether the group has considered making this field fixed
length instead of variable, or whether RFC 2119 language is used in an
appropriate way, or whether the protocol is extensible enough is at IETF
last call.

Actually the time for asking these questions is long before IETF-wide Last
Call.  We need widespread review of proposals for standards-track documents
long before a WG thinks it's finished with those documents.   It's a gaping
hole in our process.

Hear, hear.

Fix that problem, and most of the conflicts between IESG and WGs that
surround DISCUSS votes will go away.

Well, you might be a little optimistic here, but I agree in theory.

Keith

- Ralph