Re: Last Call: <draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes-03.txt> (Resource Records for EUI-48 and EUI-64 Addresses in the DNS) to Proposed Standard

2013-05-20 12:51:45
At 06:44 20-05-2013, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Resource Records for EUI-48 and EUI-64 Addresses in the DNS'
  <draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2013-06-17. Exceptionally, comments
may be

This draft is about putting MAC addresses in the DNS. The purpose is for IP address tracking by vendors. As the RRTYPE has already been allocated it is useful to document the format. In my humble opinion it is not a good idea to put MAC address in the DNS. There is some text in Section 9 about why it may not be a good idea. In Section 9:

  "These potential concerns can be mitigated through restricting access
   to zones containing EUI48 or EUI64 RRs or storing such information
   under a domain name whose construction requires that the querier
   already know some other permanent identifier."

The "querier already know some other permanent identifier" reminds me of security through obscurity. I'll do some selective quoting from another document:

  "Once the MAC-derived suffix mechanism was standardized, it
   was perceived to be required and therefore became part of compliance
   suites, which continue to compel implementations to support it many
   years after the associated vulnerabilities have been identified."

  "A comprehensive privacy threat model was never developed (which seems
   to be a recurring theme with older protocol development efforts)"

The write-up mentions: "The intended status is standards track with the label of propsed standard". Why is the intended status "Proposed Standard"?

As a comment to Joe, the first line in Appendix A.2 was entertaining. :-)

Regards,
-sm