Re: Last Call: <draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes-03.txt> (Resource Records for EUI-48 and EUI-64 Addresses in the DNS) to Proposed Standard

2013-05-20 18:53:17
Hi Donald,
At 12:10 20-05-2013, Donald Eastlake wrote:
People were already storing MAC addresses in DNS for the reason given
in the draft and perhaps others, it is just that they were doing so in
a variety of proprietary ways.

Thanks for the explanation.  I'll make a general comment.

From what I understand the use case is about Canadian ISPs using AXFR to (privately) transfer information about IP addresses, EUI-48 and EUI-64 addresses. A MAC address is usually tied to a device [1][2]. I understand the interoperability argument. That is addressed by the code point allocation.

I personally do not think that it is a good idea to encourage [3] storing MAC addresses in the (public) DNS even though people might already be doing that. It has become difficult to reconcile what a proposed standard is about. I prefer that it does not "mean just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less".

Regards,
-sm

1. http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?language=en&searchTitle=British+Columbia&path=/en/bc/bcca/doc/2005/2005bcca334/2005bcca334.html
2. http://www.priv.gc.ca/media/sp-d/2011/sp-d_20110125_pk_e.asp
3. I could not find an appropriate word.