Re: Proposed Standards and Expert Review

2013-05-21 14:09:18
Without responding in detail to John's note, I'll say that I agree substantially with the notion that the fact that someone manages to get a protocol name or number registered, should not be any kind of justification for standardization of a document that describes use of that name or number.

(For that matter, just because a document describes "protocol data objects" is also not a justification for standardization of that document.)

More generally, IETF standardization should not be a rubber stamp. And to the extent that people have that notion, we would do well to discourage it.

Keith