Re: Deployment of standards compliant nameservers

2013-05-22 07:11:06

--On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:07 +0200 Stephane Bortzmeyer
<bortzmeyer(_at_)nic(_dot_)fr> wrote:

Although these tests certainly contributed to the good
technical quality of the name servers, they were removed both
for commercial reasons (a registry has to make money to pay
its employees) and because it was easier to have the same
rules for ccTLDs and gTLDs (and ICANN forbids these technical
tests in gTLDs).

Occasional fantasies about IETF enforcement power and the
Protocol Police notwithstanding, it seems to me that, if one
wanted to require standards-conforming nameservers, the most
(and maybe only) effective way to do that would be requirements
in the contractual agreements between TLD registries and their
registrants.  Recursively applying requirements down the tree is
not a new idea; RFC 1591 uses that language more than once.

If we believe that standards-compliance would improve Internet
stability and/or security (to say nothing of the predictability
of the user experience), then ICANN's forbidding registries from
imposing technical conformance requirements, if true, would seem
to violate their charter and bylaws.  Do you have any idea where
that restriction came from?   Or what Mark and others should do
to get it changed?

best,
   john