RE: Deployment of standards compliant nameservers

2013-05-22 07:57:30
Back when I worked at a service provider, we helped customers with their DNS
configurations, Sendmail, usenet news (yes, it was a long time ago), and other
services.  If they were new customers, we would help them with the setup or if
something was broken we would look at the configuration, look at dig results,
etc.

Shouldn't we be at the point where the applications running DNS services can
ensure configurations are correct?  Wouldn't it be more efficient to work with
the implementations to provide configuration validation or have easier input
screens?  It was fine in 1997 to call someone at you SP, but this does not
scale even with lots of service providers.  While tying this to contracts seems
like a good idea, that is out of our hands at the IETF.  If we went down the
path of enforcement through contracts, I wouldn't view this as picking fights,
but rather a proactive service to 'help' customers.  Having said that, I think
if we can improve the applications that generate their DNS files, it would be
more effective long term.  While some teams are technical enough to validate
their own DNS, others prefer more full service applications.

Maybe a review of existing applications would be helpful for the community?  I
just see the following on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_DNS_server_software
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_management_software

How about adding a column for compliance to RFCs?  Or a description that makes
people aware of configuration problems caused when using certain packages?
This may start with known problems and work arounds, but ultimately lead to
fixes in the products with automatic configuration validation.  This may not be
the job of the IETF, but there must be groups we can work with to accomplish
things like this.

Just a thought...

Best regards,
Kathleen