Time in the Air

2013-05-31 04:59:51
In an attempt to inject some data into the discussion, I wrote a bit of code
that figures out how much time, given your home city, you would have spent in
the air if you'd attended all IETF meetings since IETF74 (i.e., from 2009
onwards).

The first column is the "home" airport.

The second column is the great circle time between the home airport and the
nearest large airport to the IETF meeting, hhh:mm. This doesn't count things
like transit time, taxiing, takeoff and landing overhead, indirect routing,
etc. As such, this is an ideal number; the only way to achieve anything close
to it is to have a private jet (with exceptional range).

The third column is the time (hhh:mm) using the shortest-time routing on a
travel booking engine. This is first-takeoff-to-last-landing time.

Both numbers assume round trip between "home" and the IETF airports.

SFO  204:10  282:04  // San Francisco
BOS  197:42  297:38  // Boston
ATL  205:44  297:28  // Atlanta
ANC  197:12  345:54  // Anchorage
LHR  198:02  249:44  // London
FRA  202:10  255:22  // Frankfurt
FCO  223:52  283:04  // Rome
SVO  211:28  287:14  // Moscow
TLV  264:12  334:22 // Israel
DXB  293:26  344:34 // Dubai
NRT  259:00  314:38  // Tokyo
HKG  296:38  359:22  // Hong Kong
BLR  332:28  448:24  // Bangalore
MEL  450:28  556:04  // Melbourne
AKL  442:24  569:04  // Auckland
JNB  414:30  498:22  // Johannesburg
EZE  411:10  522:56  // Buenos Aires
GIG  381:56  488:32  // Rio de Janeiro

Draw your own conclusions, of course.

One observation is that there's a 3+ days-in-the-air per year variance if
you're a full-time participant, depending on where you live. I.e., more than
one day-per-meeting difference, on average. In the air alone.

Another is that, perhaps surprisingly, the "closest" homes to all meetings are
in Europe, not the US (at least by shortest-time routing).

I can run other airports upon request, as well as make source available, but
will do so conservatively, so as not to incur the ire of the services I'm
(ab)using.

Regards,

P.S. The IETF airports chosen were:

  IETF_airports: [