Back to the future (was: IETF Diversity)

2013-06-23 14:30:40
At 05:27 23-06-2013, Noel Chiappa wrote:
You're right about it having fallen through a time warp - but you got the
sign wrong. It's from the future, not the past.

I went back to the future to play the repeated game and I read an (edited) extract of a message from Andy Cohen:

  "I've been struck by the intensity, the humour, pettiness, and grandeur.
   I haven't yet concluded whether this is a group of smaller alliances
   protecting vested interests...or a bunch of pretty remarkable folk
   working in remarkable ways -- maybe both."

There was something I did not know [1] about the Internet Engineering Tooth Fairy, i.e. why it was set up in such a way. Please do not ask me why.

It seems that the current discussion is about morganatic marriages, i.e. that's all that the person got. Solutionists recommend easy solutions which ignore complex human problems. Oddly enough a solution was chosen many years ago. As time went by people forgot what was chosen. It is yet to be established whether that was out of convenience or something else. That solution was likely chosen to avoid incestuous relationships where vested interests could flourish.

Meritocracy can degenerate into cronyism. Diversity can also degenerate into cronyism. Perceptions are what people believe and what people believe is reality. The answer being sought might be in the above.

Regards,
-sm

1. I am not sure whether I actually knew about it. There are many things which I do not know.