Re: IETF Diversity

2013-06-23 07:53:38
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 1:36 AM, Dan Harkins <dharkins(_at_)lounge(_dot_)org>
wrote:

On Tue, June 18, 2013 9:52 am, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
I am rather disappointed that there hasn't been any followup to the
diversity discussion that took place at the plenary.

I do applications and I do security and so having a diverse range of
input
is critical if the final product is going to be useful. There are no
gender
or cultural issues in packet routing that I am aware of. But once we get
the application layer they become central.

  Interesting. Can you explain what it is about the application layer
that introduces gender and cultural issues?

Internationalization is not an issue for IPv6 or you are doing it really
wrong. If you get to the apps layer it becomes very important.

The IP layer does not interface to people, the apps layer does.

  Internet stalking? Maybe you should call for a BoF to address the issue.
I'm not sure what protocol can be developed, or modification to an existing
protocol, that can address the stalking problem but I'm all ears!

The issue is not necessarily lets build a protocol to stop stalking.

Rather it is a question of having that context in mind when we are
discussing privacy issues. Right now the only contexts we seem to consider
privacy in are 'how does a dissident stop the government seeing what they
are talking about to others' and 'how do we stop a government catching said
dissident'.

Since the answers to both involve steganography, I don't see an open venue
as a useful place to engage in such work. But it gets raised as it is the
sort of threat men can relate to. Meanwhile rather more common threats that
we can deal with are ignored.

It is a matter of priorities.

At the plenary I pointed out that there have been women involved in IETF
ever since I started in IETF over 20 years ago now. Yet we have an IAB
and
an IESG with only one female member who is not ex-officio (according to
their Web sites)

  Can you restate that as a problem? And also explain why it is a problem?

It demonstrates that the IETF diversity problem is not due to a lack of
qualified people. There are other factors at work.

I do not think that gender is the only diversity problem in IETF but it is
one that can be measured and the IETF is conspicuously failing. We also
have a rather severe age problem, twenty years ago EKR and myself were
among the youngest participants in most discussions and setting aside the
grad students the same is usually true today.

  Gosh. I feel so left out. I'm as old as EKR (and probably you) and have
been
involved in the IETF for about as long as he has yet you do not include me
in
your measure of diversity. Do you think that maybe you have a problem with
measurement of the problem?

My point was that there cohort ten years younger than ourselves is very
thin. The cohort ten years younger than that mostly grad students who we
seem to be unable to persuade to continue participating after they hand in
their thesis.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/