Re: Final Announcement of Qualified Volunteers

2013-07-08 11:01:15

--On Sunday, July 07, 2013 19:50 +0300 0
<skareem(_at_)science(_dot_)alquds(_dot_)edu> wrote:

I am just wondered why there is any names from Arab world, no
volunteers or no  acceptance for Arab people.

Thanks for giving chance to ask.

Keeping in mind that people have to volunteer their own names
(no one else can do it for them) and that volunteers for the
Nomcom need to meet various requirements (of which the most
restrictive are face to face attendance at three of the last
IETF meetings and a commitment to attend up to a year or 18
months of upcoming IETF meetings face to face), I think your
question turns into three or maybe four others:

(1) Assuming that there are "Arab people" (quotes because I'm
not certain everyone in the IETF community would identify that
group the same way you do) who can satisfy those requirements to
volunteer, why didn't any of them volumteer?

(2) If more "Arab people" don't participate sufficiently in IETF
to meet those requirements, and hence to be eligible to
volunteer, why not?

(3) Are there "Arab people" participating actively in the IETF
who would volunteer for the Nomcom if the requirements were
different but still met the IETF community's reasonable needs?
Note that there is a draft on that subject floating around
(draft-moonesamy-nomcom-eligibility).  Speaking quite personally
and with the understanding that I may be in the minority, I
believe that the current "3 of 5" rules try to provide a single
measure that captures two entirely reasonable requirements: that
a nomcom volunteer understand the IETF community and how it
functions and that the volunteer understand the current
situation in the IETF well enough to meaningfully participate
and contribute to the Nomcom's work.    It may be that the
formula is wrong or that, as I now believe, we should be
separating those concerns into two separate requirements, or
not, but I think that it will be a very long time before the f2f
prerequisite is eliminated entirely and perhaps longer before
the community agrees that the Nomcom doesn't need to meet f2f.

(3) If you meet the 3 of 5 requirement and assuming you are an
instance of "Arab people", why didn't you volunteer?  And,
especially if you don't meet that requirement, does the IETF
expect to see you in Berlin as a first step to qualifying for
future Nomcoms?

  best,
   john