Re: Final Announcement of Qualified Volunteers

2013-07-09 09:00:47
On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
wrote:
if one wanted to minimize
the odds of organizations trying to game the nomcom selection
process, it would be rational to do a two step draw, first
randomly selecting two volunteers from any organization offering
more than two and then including only those two in the final
selection process.    On the other hand, that would give you
around 81 candidates for the final selection this year.  If
running the final selection against order 140 people rather than
order 81 causes the community to believe that it has a better
sample, then that option probably would not be appropriate.

The sample is better at 140 if individuals represent themselves, but
not if they are swayed by their organizational affiliation, and
organization is now a significant factor in what we can expect from
volunteers -- not all, but even some of those from organizations where
the volunteers are long time participants.  I support this idea.  I
think the gain is greater than the loss, and it even fosters
diversity.