Re: Final Announcement of Qualified Volunteers

2013-07-09 18:23:49
Spencer Dawkins wrote:

- I'm not sure we can even know what the 10 voting members *were*
  guided by, unless the behavior is so bad that the advisor freaks out
  or the chair tells us in the plenary Nomcom report

and Yoav Nir wrote:

how much can a nomcom member (or a pair of them) do to advance a
company's goals?

< reality check >

the ietf is no longer a collegiate collection of engineers, computer
scientists, and operators.  sad to say, we need to get past that fantasy
of the good old days.  and i would point out that traditional SDOs are
generally users trying to get multi-vendor interoperability and choice,
not vendors throwing weight proportional to market share.

but physics says we do this in an environment which is dominated by the
vendors being the ones who can afford the cost to have a strong presence
in the ietf, see <http://archive.psg.com/051000.ccr-ivtf.html>.

and i believe that there is a real problem, not just fud and theory.

i *heard* (from reliable sources, plural, but not witnssed) that there
was a nomcom where company X said that an employee of X must be chosen
for the iesg or <very negative financial and political consequences>
would ensue.

randy