Re: IETF registration fee?

2013-07-10 15:46:49
On 11/07/2013 07:44, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
On 7/10/13 1:41 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
On 07/10/2013 02:50 PM, Donald Eastlake wrote:
The IETF values cross area interaction at IETF meeting and attendees
have always been encouraged to attend for the week. Allowing one day
passes is a recent phenomenon to which some people, including myself,
are on balance opposed.
I'm also of the opinion that the one-day passes were a bad idea. We have
too little cross-group and cross-area participation, too many groups
working at cross-purposes, and too little attention paid to the
implications of any one new protocol on the Internet architecture.   We
have become very overspecialized and we need to see what we can do to
discourage this trend.

I can spend a week at an IETF meeting and never participate in a session
outside a given area.

That's true of course, but you will also have the chance to pick up
corridor gossip from other areas, and to be found by people in other
areas who are concerned about something your area is doing.

Day passes have nothing to do with it.

I disagree. Day passes encourage the notion that it's normal to
parachute into the IETF to attend a single session. I think that the
IETF's strength is that we don't totally compartmentalise work items.

In that light, it's reasonable that two day passes should cost
more than the whole week. In any case, hotel costs quickly exceed
the meeting fee if you stay for a few days.

Not to mention that people who've paid for a day pass get mighty
upset when a session is moved to a different day at the last
moment.

   Brian