Re: IAB Statement on Dotless Domains

2013-07-14 22:27:29
On 7/14/2013 8:14 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
It is unarguably true that as things currently stand there will be
"problems" with dotless domains. How widespread, and how serious those
problems become is yet to be seen. However it is also unarguably true
that if there is sufficient market demand for dotless domains the
software folks, at both the OS and application levels, will make them
work. [1]

The effects of your putting your hand into a fire are yet to be seen. However we have enough knowledge of things to be able to assess likely outcomes quite accurately.

In contrast, assertions about "market demand" ensuring that "software folks... will make them work" rests on a fuzzy concept of market forces -- for example, the market of users isn't likely to be issuing a formal or informal 'demand' about any of this, and a model of altering installed-base behavior that has, I believe, has no historical precedent.

It is, in fact, possible that Marshall Rose was wrong and that for some things, there is no possible thrust sufficient to make pigs fly, or at least not without killing an extraordinary number of other pigs.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking